Montane traverse gives you that feeling of being out in the backcountry, but it is 2 seconds away from the Silvertip golf course. The easiest way to run that loop is to start along Cougar creek and climb up to the top of the golf course. This counter-clockwise way, you are done with all the climbing after 15 to 20 minutes of running, and it's almost all downhill from there. Montane traverse is a local classic for walkers, mountain bikers and runners alike, be mindful of other trail users.
The "long" loop to Harvie Heights via the Microwave drop and back on the Palisser bike path makes for a rolling 17 km loop (10 km trail, 7 km road), great for a longer run or as an easy option for the high mileage runners out there.
- Distance: 6 km to 17 km
- Shortest/Easiest loop: Red and Yellow shortcut
- Longest loop: Red into blue into pink - Montane to Harvie Heights and back
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Where to park: Cougar Creek Parking Lot
- Surface: non-technical to semi-technical. Some roots but overall well-traveled. The descent of Johnny's Trail (in blue) and the Harvie Heights section (pink) is more technical and rocky than the rest of Montane Traverse.
- Please note that the Douglas fir Bench trail is closed from December 1st to June 15th for wildlife protection. To avoid the closure, you can climb back up to the golf course or run back on the Palisser trail bike path.
- Want to make it more challenging? Run the loop clockwise to climb all of Johnny's trail and then up to the Montane Traverse highpoint.