Looking for some quick elevation gain and some of the best views around? Rockbound Lake offers a great access to some of the best alpine running there is (Castle Mountain, Stuart Knob, Helena Peak) but it is also a well-traveled hike, and for good reason. The views from treeline are dramatic and highlight the steep North face of Castle Mountain. Expect a gradual 9 to 10 km climb to reach Rockbound Lake. Fitter runners can run the whole way up in just over an hour. Spice the trip up by climbing up behind Rockbound Lake to the viewpoint, or add Helena Ridge, Stuart Knob and Castle Mountain for a 30-km alpine circuit. Beware of lingering snow in the alpine until late Summer.
- Distance: 18 km roundtrip to Rockbound Lake
- Time: 2.5 to 4 hours roundtrip for Rockbound Lake
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Total Elevation Gain: 1000 m
- Where to park: Castle Mountain Trailhead or Castle Junction
- Surface: Semi-Technical to Rockbound Lake, technical terrain above to Helena Peak, Stuart Knob and Castle Mountain.